QUALITY ASSESSMENT OF INTERPRETING OBAMA'S FAREWELL SPEECH
Interpreting is a process adopted by a skillful and well qualified interpreter to convey orally the meaning from a source language into a target language simultaneously .In this process the interpreter has no time to think or check the exact meaning of the words, phrases and sentences. The main technique used by the interpreter is based on his/her competence .This type of translation is used in press conferences and political speeches of high rank figures.
This paper deals with analyzing the interpretation of Obama's farewell speech adopted by two authentic TV Channels(Sky News and AL- Jazeera).The aim of this paper is to investigate the quality of each interpreting by adopting Nida's (1996:164) four basic requirements of a successful translation as a model.
This paper finds that the quality of interpreting of (AL-Jazeera TL2is more successful than (Sky newsTL1 )
2. Beard, A. (2000): Language of Politics. London: Routledge .
3. Beer ,F .,A. and Landtshar,C.(2004):Metaphorical World Politics. Michigan. Michigan University Press.
4. Black ,C. (2005):Politicians and Rhetoric :The Persuasive Power of Metaphor. Palgrave.
5. Burke, K.(1954):Permanence and Change .Indianapolis: The Bobs Meril C.Inc.
6. Chilton, P. and Schaffner, C. (1997). "Discourse and Politics". In Van Dijk, Teun A.(ed.). Discourse as Social Interaction.London,Sag,1997.
7. Chilton, P. (2004). Analyzing political Discourse : Theory and Practics. London : Routledge .
8. De Wet ,Johnson, C.(2010):The Art of Persuasive Communication :A process. Claremont :Juta and Company LTD.
9. Dryzek, J.S.(2010):Rhetoric in Democracy: A Systemic Appreciation .Australian National University, Canberra ,Australia.
10. Fairclough, N.(2006):Language and Globalization. Iris Bachmann.
11. Garret ,P.(2001):Language attitudes and Sociolinguistics. Journal of Socioliguistics.Vol.5,Iss.4.
12. Gile, D.(2011): 'Errors, Omissions and Infelicities in Broadcast Interpreting: Preliminary Findings from a Case Study', in Alvstad, C., Hild, A. & Tiselius, E. (eds.) Methods and Strategies of Process Research: Integrative Approaches in Translation Studies. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp. 201-218.
13. Hatim, B. & Mason, I. (1997): The Translator as Communicator. London: Routledge
14. Hugh, W.R. (1941) Semantics: The Nature of Words and Their Meaning. New York: Norton.
15. Jowett, G.S. ,and O'Donnel ,V.(1992):Propaganda and Persuasion .SAGE Publications.
16. Khane,J.S.and Patapan,H.(2010):The Artless art:Leadership and the limits of democratic rhetoric. Australian Journal of Political Science.Pulished online.
17. Kurz, I. (2003): ‘Physiological Stress during Simultaneous Interpreting: A Comparison of Experts and Novices’, The Interpreters’ Newsletter, 12, pp. 51-67.
18. Lambert ,S.(2004) :Shared attention during sight translation, sight interpretation and simultaneous interpretation. Meta 49(2),244-306.
19. Leech,G.(1974): Semantics. Harmondsworth:Penguin.
20. Malmkjaer,K.(2002): "Functional Linguistics".In K. Malmkjaer. The Linguistic Encyclopedia . London:Routledge.
21. Newmark,P.(1981): Approaches to Translation.Oxford:Pergaman Press.
22. -Nida ,E.A. (1964):Toward a Science of Translating :With Special Reference to Principles and Procedures Involved in Bible Translating.Leiden:E.J.Brill.
23. -Ockulska,U. and Cap,P. (2010): Perspectives in Politics and Discourse. John Benjamin Publishing.
24. -Pignataro, C. (2011) ‘Skilled-based and Knowledge-based Strategies in Television Interpreting’, The Interpreters' Newsletter, 16, pp. 81-98.
25. -Pöchhacker, F. (2011) ‘Researching TV Interpreting: Selected Studies of US Presidential Material'. Available at: https://www.openstarts.units.it/dspace/bitstream/10077/8252/1/NL_16_4.pdf.
26. -Reisigl,M.(2006): Rhetorical Tropes in Political Discourse.University of Vienna.
27. --------------(2008) ‘Rhetoric of Political Speeches’, in Wodak, R. & Koller, V. (eds.) Handbook of Communication in the Public Sphere. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
28. -Richards,J.C. Platt,J.and Platt,H. (1992): Longman Dictionary of Teaching an Applied Linguistics. London:Longman.
29. -Setton,R.(2005):So what is interesting about Simultaneous Interpreting?SKASE.Journal of Translation and Interpretation.
30. Schäffner, C. (1997) ‘Strategies of Translating Political Texts’ in Trosborg, A. (ed.) Text Typology and Translation. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
31. ----------------(2011): Unknown Agents in Political Discourse.